Solvina has successfully completed a comprehensive project regarding grid code compliance studies and testing at the Waste-to-Energy plant K3 in Kemsley, UK, together with CNIM.
CNIM was the appointed EPC contractor for the power plant and assigned Solvina to perform the grid code dynamic studies and grid code compliance testing. The grid code dynamic studies were conducted in Solvina’s own simulation tool Simpow. The simulations included the following studies:
- Automatic Voltage Regulator, AVR, and Power System Stabilizer, PSS
- Reactive power capability
- Fault Ride Through, FRT
- Voltage disturbance
- Stability of load rejection to house load
- Voltage controller verification and validation
- Frequency controller verification and validation.
The grid code compliance tests were conducted together with CNIM and Siemens, and consisted of two testing rounds, before and after synchronization. Good test preparation such as well-defined test program, signal list and conducted simulations ensured that the tests were conducted as planned and complete with great success and approval from the Distribution Network Owner. The work included the following tests:
- Excitation system open circuit response
- Open & short circuit saturation curves
- Excitation system in-load response
- Over and Under excitation limiters
- Reactive capability
- Governor and load controller response performance
Solvina wants to thank CNIM for another successfully completed project and the ongoing collaboration!